Sunday, May 1, 2016

Master Bathroom Mini Makeover

Do you ever start one project and then it leads into 5 others?  That is exactly how this mini makeover happened!  Let me just say that I was recently laid off from my job so I have lots of extra time on my hands.....I do stuff that hasn't been done, that's needs to be done, that should have been done, but hasn't.
I had been collecting gold framed mirrors and picture frames that I was finding at yard sales and thrift shops to create a collage on our Picket Fence Wall in our master bathroom.  I finally had what I thought I needed and decided to hang them.  The total of this little collage was a whopping $15.  Woohoo!
I went to my Pinterst Inspiration board for a couple of sayings for the frames, printed them out to size and added them to the empty frames.  Love!!
Then, I noticed the patch jobs where we Repaired the Drywall and Added Texture on either side of the tub about a year ago (yes, I said a year ago).  They were ugly, so I decided to paint them, which led me to give all the walls a fresh coat of paint.
Then, I didn't like the contrast of colors in the wall and the wood feature on the front of the tub.  So I painted the wood feature with the same color of the walls, which is a very faint gray color, almost white.
Then, I hated it because now the wood feature is glowing and saying hey look at me, I stick out like a sore thumb! Hello! Can you see me?
Then, I decided to paint it the same as I had painted our vanity cabinets, which I just realized I never even blogged about, but I did blog about the rest of our vanity construction if you want to read about that HERE.
The paint is from Home Depot and its Behr Premium Plus Ultra in Creamy Mushroom.  I'm pretty sure every cabinet in our house has this paint as a base. :)
I used Minwaz stain in Dark Walnut 2716 to add a warmth to the very light color and give it a bit of interest.  If you've been following us for very long, you'll see I can't just leave anything alone, I always have to add something else! LOL!
I wear two pair of gloves, one rubber glove and one of my regular work gloves.  You don't wan this stain all up in your fingernails, at least I don't.  I dip the sponge brush you saw in the previous picture in the stain, lay it on the lid, then I blot the rag on it and rub it on to the surface being sure to rub until its blended out.  Wipe off all excess stain.
Can you see the part I haven't stained to the left?  Pretty good difference huh?  This rough cedar  was a bit harder to work with than the smooth wood of our cabinets, but I like how it turned out.
Here it is all done and ready for sealant.  After I finished the entire process, I sealed everything with the Valspar Clear Protector I found at Lowes.
I hope you're not too jealous of our 1980s vinyl flooring, its next on my list, but that takes money so it might be a while.

It doesn't have to be done all at once.  It is a slow process in the works! C-ya next time!

I'm Linking to:
These lovely and FUN parties!
Between Naps on the Porch

Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. Great job! I am collecting gold mirrors to place above my windows and drapes but this look is lovely! Sorry to hear that you are out of work. I hope something comes along soon. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by and for leaving a kind comment too!

      Delete
  2. I loved your bathroom vanity makeover you did a while back. Can you tell me how you secured the 2x6 boards together to make to countertop?? I'm a complete DIY novice...excited to learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bathroom makeover you did a while back!! I'm wanting to recreate the wooden countertop in my own space. I wondered if you can tell me how you secured the 4 2x6 boards together? I'm a newbie to the DIY world, so I'm excited to learn more!! Thank you!

    http://ourcloverhouse.blogspot.com/2011/06/heres-sneak-peek.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole! Thanks for visiting our blog and thanks for the kind words too. We used wood glue in between each board and then held them all together by screwing a 2x4 to the 2x6s, one on either side. I think if you look at the part 3 post you can see the ops upside down which shows the 2x4s I'm talking about. Look here: http://ourcloverhouse.blogspot.com/2011/07/master-bathroom-vanity-part-3.html

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much!!! That helps a ton! Beautiful home, thanks for sharing!!

      Delete
    3. Thank you! You're very welcome, anytime! :)

      Delete

Thank you for visiting Clover House and taking the time to leave a comment! We LOVE comments and suggestions! Have a lovely day! :)