Sunday, September 30, 2012

DIY Laundry Detergent

Happy Sunday!


Edited to add:  I use this soap in my HE (high efficiency)  washer and have had no problems at all so far.  I've also noticed that the machine does not ask to be cleaned as often as it used to.

A friend of mine from work made her own laundry soap and shared some of it with me and I LOVE IT! I loved it so much I made more and I will continue to make more in the future. It's going to save us lots of money too!  My friend got her recipe HERE.
The ingredients you see above cost us $27.70, all from WalMart.  These ingredients will make enough soap for a year if you wash 6 loads per week.  It could last you longer than a year if you do less laundry. Oh and the best part is...you only use 2 tablespoons per load.

Here's what you will need to make a very large amount of soap:
1 Large container with lid (ours is 24 qts)
1 Grater with a small grating area
1 (4 lb 12 oz) Box of Borax - $3.38
1 (3 lb 7 oz) Box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda - $3.24
1 (3 lb) Container of OxyClean - $7.52
2 (14.1 oz) Bars of Fels Naptha Soap (You can also use Zote Soap) - $.97 each
1 (4 lb) Box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda - $2.66
1 large or 2 small Bottle of Purex Crystals Fabric Softener - $8.96 (large size)
You will need to grate the bars of Fels Naptha soap. Get your poor arms ready for a work out! Whew!  I mostly used the smallest part of my grater but every now and again I would grate a bit on the large size. You will end up with about 3 cups of grated soap.
The Fels Naptha is a pretty yellow and smells really nice too.  You can see here the larger pieces I threw in every now and again. Again, this is the hard part and will give your arms a good workout for sure!  Once you've finally grated both bars of soap you will use a large container to mix it all in.  Be sure to mix it well so its all stirred up and distributed evenly. I used a wooden spoon to stir mine.
I used my canning funnel to fill my large size Purex softener bottle.  It held 7 cups of soap nicely, but you possibly could get 8 in there.  The regular size bottle holds 4 cups and I also had some large creamer bottles I've been saving and they hold 3 cups nicely.  See the blue cap on the Purex bottle?  It has 3 lines one it and the middle one is approximately 2 tablespoons.  AWESOME!
Even though this was a bit of work to get put together, it makes the house smell wonderful and clean and best of all its very easy to use and cleans great!

It doesn't have to be done all at once.  It is a slow process in the works! C-ya next time!
I'm linking to these parties: UndertheTableandDreamingLil\'Luna />

Pin It!

24 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I have one question ... does this soap leave your stored sheets and towels smelling fresh for a long time like Gain does?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! We've been using this recipe for about 3 weeks now and when we wear clothes that have been washed and hung up days or weeks later they still smell wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess my question would be...does it get the clothes clean and sanitary? Do you have to use suppliments still for heavily soiled clothing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can keep a bar of the soap and use on stains. Grandma use to use it on our cloths. just wet and rub. but yes gets most everything out

      Delete
  4. Great tip, have you tested it with high efficiency washer?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cheryl! Since we have all adults in our house we are really limited to the really dirty clothes (like kids can give you) so I can't say if you would need to use any other items or not. Sorry 'bout that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Luis! YES! We have the HE machines and it works perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I generally use clorox bleach for my whites...have you tried it? Or is it even necessary?
    BTW...thanks for sharing your great idea!

    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I generally use clorox bleach for my whites...have you tried it? Or is it even necessary?
    BTW...thanks for sharing your great idea!

    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nadine! You're very welcome! I have not tried using clorox. The oxy clean in the mixture is your whitener and I have noticed the the whites (mostly socks) look brighter since I started using it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will the Oxi Clean bleach dark clothes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it doesn't :) I have been using this since September and have had NO issues with hubby's black socks/pants/shirts.

      Delete
  11. This sounds like a wonderful recipe--thank you! My only concern is with the Oxyclean, which IIRC contains 'oxygen bleach', environmentally safe, but (straight, at least) ruins woolens and silks. We've used a natural detergent with the same ingredient, and it didn't appear to do any harm. Any ideas? Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. PS - We sometimes use bluing (Mrs Stewart's brand) in the rinse cycle to brighten/de-yellow whites. All the best to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hurrah! Thank you, Mellissa Cassagne. Now I can make a massive batch. Prolly not enough of a percentage of oxygen bleach to deteriorate mixed woolies/silkies. Will test it on scrap fabric first to be certain.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Would you put the soap into the soap dispenser in your machine? Or directly into the tub to wash?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Would you put the soap into the soap dispenser in your machine or do you put directly into the tub?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can't wait to try this! Do you put this in the dispenser part or in the drum with the clothes?

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can't wait to try this! Do you put this in the dispenser section or in the drum with the clothes? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This recipe is great! I use Downy unstopables instead of crystals. My family likes it better. This is also great for my daughter with her disability she is able to use this all in one in her front loader and is very easy since I refill the downy bottle with it for her. We are on our third batch. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This recipe is awesome! Instead of crystals I use downy unstoppable, family likes it better. This also works great for my daughter that has a disability. I refill a downy bottle and she pours it into her front loader. Thanks again, we are on our third batch.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Making this now....
    11/11/2013 in Massachusetts.
    I got everything at Walmart with the exception of the Borax which I bought at Market Basket (grocery store).

    3lb A&H Washing Soda $3,.24
    2 bottles 28oz Purex Crystals for Baby $4.76 + $4.76
    4lb A&H Baking Soda $2.24
    2 bars 5.5oz Fels Naptha $0.97 + $0.97
    3lb OxyClean $7.52
    4lb Borax $3.99

    $28.45 total

    ReplyDelete
  21. Making this now....
    11/11/2013 in Massachusetts.
    I got everything at Walmart with the exception of the Borax which I bought at Market Basket (grocery store).

    3lb A&H Washing Soda $3,.24
    2 bottles 28oz Purex Crystals for Baby $4.76 + $4.76
    4lb A&H Baking Soda $2.24
    2 bars 5.5oz Fels Naptha $0.97 + $0.97
    3lb OxyClean $7.52
    4lb Borax $3.99

    $28.45 total

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE this laundry soap. I have been making it for years. Because we have sensitive skin, I don't put in the fabric softners crystals and use the Baby Oxy clean (found in the baby department)instead of regular. I truly only use 1 to 1.5 Tablespoons per load. I use homemade stain treatment on stains. Sometime's I add 1/2 Cup of white vinegar to the load. I find this dry recipe so much easier than the liquid homemade kinds. I used to use Tide or All brands and I notice no difference in the cleaning ability. It works just as good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Clover House and taking the time to leave a comment! We LOVE comments and suggestions! Have a lovely day! :)